2018 was an unexpected success. Given global politics, we had anticipated a very difficult year; instead we’ve had one of our most successful years to date. What a great way to celebrate our 20th anniversary!
Please consider joining us in supporting our work! Your generous gift provides important flexibility and helps us fund innovative work across a wide geography and range of topics.
As you may recall, last year we expanded our mission to protect landscapes and wildlife and support traditional lifeways and indigenous cultures not only in Russian Altai, but in Greater Altai countries of Mongolia and Kazakhstan, as well as Russia as a whole.
Opening new doors has proven to be a fabulous success! With your generous support and new foundation partnerships, we are currently directly supporting 15 different projects in Russia, Kazakhstan, and Mongolia with $265,000 in funding and mentoring an additional 8 collaborations. Here are just a few of the wide (and wild!) range of activities we are supporting:
- Identifying and protecting black storks and their nesting habitat in Russian Altai
- Protecting ceremonial spaces, traditional knowledge, and supporting shamans and ceremony in sacred landscapes around Greater Altai, Buryatia, and Mongolia
- Improving forest management and ending illegal logging and gold-mining in Russian Altai
- Finalizing a proposal to establish the “Highlands of Mongol Altai” UNESCO World Heritage Site (including Tavan Bogd National Park) in Mongolian Altai
- Sending 5 American ornithologists to participate in a conference focusing on raptor conservation, especially Steppe and Imperial eagles in Russian Altai.
Although the future remains uncertain as politics and other factors change, I am delighted to be able to share all these successes with you. Along with Earth Island Institute, The Altai Project is deeply committed to supporting activists, cultural practitioners, scientists, and community leaders.
I hope you’ll not only stay with us for the adventure, but that you will also show your support.
As always, I enjoy speaking with supporters. Please reach out anytime via email or telephone!